Sunday, November 27, 2016

Week Four

This week, I revisited a process I used to make a work years ago to explore another way to execute my idea of these "blobs." It was experiment more than anything and I enjoyed working with mixed media. I am not sure if I'm going to continue this since I am trying to decide what exactly I want to explore and stick with. Layering on different materials is something I do a lot but I don't know if it feels right for my portfolio. I just want to push my work further since it is not there yet.




Reading Response

This reading was extremely beneficial in helping me try to focus my ideas on what I want to make my theme or body of work about. When it talks about teaching, I like when it says that we're all fellow travelers and teaching is part of being an artist. I feel like I'm still getting around to making the work that really matters to me since I feel like I'm almost beating around the bush but I don't know what it is yet. The quote before chapter 8 really made me think because it takes critiquing past just looking at the art. It asks if it even should have been made. I need to make my work meet a goal rather than just making something randomly with no idea of what I'm supposed to be doing. On page 99, the Zen proverb made me feel like I am still the beginner since I see multiple paths I could take since I haven't quite found my way. Especially with this weeks work, I revisited an old technique and made it new to an extent but still feel like it was ineffective but still staying in the style I want. Page 104 had a great passage pretty much explaining how art is essential to humanity since we've gotten by with so many other things but art is consistent. Chapter 9 made me realize I need to make more meaningful work and really think about what I want my work to be.



It's a little unrelated to what I'm making, but I found this artist this week and really love her work (her name is ironically Victoria too). I just love the linework of this piece so much since it varies. Really makes me want to draw more.

No comments:

Post a Comment